Thursday 15 January 2015

Five tips to start your summer body now

I am a summer baby through and through, I am happier and more motivated when the sun is shining! That is why I hate the saying "summer bodies are earned in the winter" because I soooooo don't want it to be true - but it is!

I have always been in to sport and exercise, but I definitely make more effort with my health and fitness over the summer months. I think it's because I'm much more aware of my body than when I am bundled up in coats, jumpers and three pairs of tights! Anyway, this year I've set myself the challenge of earning my summer body in the winter. I've discovered five things that are helping me, and, you know what they say - sharing is caring, knowledge is power, etc etc... So here you go:

1) SET A REALISTIC GOAL:
Fitspo's are good because you have an image in your head of where you want to get to, you don't want to be a clone of someone else but it can help you focus and be more motivated during the process.

Your fitspo must be realistic! Keep in mind that EVERY picture you see in a magazine has been photoshopped, and also that we are all born with different natural body shapes. There's no point me having Kim Kardashian as my fitspo because we clearly have completely different body types. I will end up disappointed and disheartened when, after months of tirelessly working out and eating well, I still can't rock a two-piece like she can. Assess your own natural shape first, then set your goals accordingly.

After all, I don't want to end up like this guy. He was so set on looking like Kimmy that he spent $190,000 on plastic surgery....


2) MAKE A TIMETABLE:
As motivation lacks most in winter, you will find it very easy to make excuses as to why you didn't work out. At the beginning of every week write down the days that you are going to do some exercise. Whether it's one day or four days - put it in the diary!

3) YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT:
My weakness is sweeties and chocolate. I am a complete addict!! I've found the easiest way to cut my bad cravings is not by saying "I'm not eating that anymore" but instead saying "I don't eat that anymore". Apparently it triggers something in your brain that will help fight the temptation.

Also, try and find substitutions for the bad things in your diet with good things. For example, I used to take two chocolate bars to work (don't shoot me) and now I take an orange and an apple instead.

Have a balanced diet and drink plenty of water. Eating well helps your energy levels so you'll be able to work out even harder in the gym.

4) TELL A FRIEND:
If you are surrounded by people that are trying to lead a healthier lifestyle, you will be spurred on too. So encourage your friends and family to get fit with you...There's power in numbers! You can keep track of each others progress, go for runs together, be gym buddies, share healthy eating plans. It's always better together.

5) SIGN UP TO A FUN RUN
I ran the BUPA 10k in 2013 and after the race I said I would never do it again, not because I found it particularly hard, but because I was so bored of running. However, it is now two years later and I have signed up to run the race again in May.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
Why? Although the training got mundane towards the end, it was the most motivated I have ever been. Running made my legs stronger and my stomach more toned - I felt so good! Every day was a countdown to being the fastest and fittest that I could be. I'm quite competitive, so I wanted to get a good time. I know I struggle to be consistent with my health and fitness, but this year's target to complete the run in 45 minutes will mean I have to train for it.

There are loads of fun runs throughout the year. 5k's, 10k's, half marathons, night walks, and the best bit is it's all for charity! Find one that suits you and sign up, it'll be worth it!

With all that being said, the overall goal is to be you...Just a healthier version!

Before I finish I need to confess that I'm feeling really guilty because since writing this I've eaten the hugest tube of Smarties. I promise I won't eat any chocolate tomorrow.

I would love to hear your own fitness goals and if you've signed up to any runs, get in contact!

Emma
  xx

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Emma Francis. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig