Monday 29 December 2014

I said YES!

If you follow me on social media you will probably be well aware by now that I am ENGAGED!

Isaac, my fiancé (...love that word) got down on one knee on Friday 19th December 2014 whilst we were walking over Regents Canal bridge in Camden.

I had never been so surprised in my whole life! Obviously we had discussed the future before this point and we were both certain we wanted to spend our lives together, but the actual proposal felt like a dream that I didn't want to wake up from.


Isaac had arranged for a photographer to be hiding in the distance to capture the moment. I'm not one for staged photo shoots so it was perfect to have these pictures as a beautiful memory and to see our real reactions in the moment when we (or should I say "I") thought no body else was watching. 

After I had said a big fat YES, the photographer appeared. I was still in shock. "Isaac do you know this person!?" I said. Isaac laughed and I realised that it had all been planned, he wasn't just a strange member of the public who spotted a photo op!


We walked to a restaurant I've been wanting to visit for ages, both full of every giddy, excited, overwhelmed feeling you could imagine. I had waited so long to go to this restaurant but now I couldn't even eat because I was too excited.


I am 22, Isaac is 25. We have been together for just over two years.

Some people may think we are too young to get married, others may say we haven't been together long enough to really know if this is the 'one'. And some are even worried for us because we don't already live together so maybe we don't know each other properly.

However there are others who think we should have gotten married a year ago, or because Isaac is 25 so he should even be thinking about having children!!

My point is, every decision you make in life there will always be different views on what is right and wrong for you to do in that situation. Everyone is different, we all have our own ways. You will never be able to make a decision that pleases everybody's standards.

We didn't make this decision based on our parents standards, or our friends standards, or the standards in cosmopolitan magazine. Instead, we waited for God.

This past two years we have grown together and found out more about each other, all the while, we have been praying for one another and seeking God to show us his plan for our future.

We have surrounded ourselves with amazing people, we have taken time to learn about the others dreams and ambitions for their future, and we have spent time reading about what marriage actually is beyond the wedding day with a pretty white dress.

The Meaning of Marriage by Timothy Keller is my favourite book, I can not recommend it enough! Also the Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman is great too, and we are currently reading another Gary Chapman book called Things I wish I'd Known Before We Got Married.

Reading all these books doesn't mean that we know everything about marriage, because we definitely don't. Right now we just know that is going to be hard, and wonderful, but then probably hard again. We are yet to experience it. But we both believe that now is the right time. The time that God has planned for us and a time that God will bless and we know He will be with us every single step of the way.

Whether you are getting married, or making any other big decision right now, I want to encourage you to step away from trying to do what you think is popular, or what you think other people will be pleased with, and ask God what He wants. You might be surprised! 

Thanks for reading. I'll leave you with some more pictures below, but I better get going because I've got a wedding to plan! Eeeeeeeeeek!


Photographer: Paul Akinrinlola

www.pdesignsmedia.com

Emma
  xx
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Beautiful! May God bless you with many more happy years together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I love this post, I will definitely read some of the books that you have recommended.

    Happy wedding planning wedding 💒!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So mature and wise in your decision making and thinking about your future! So inspiring and encouraging. This is lovely to read and the photos are amazing ☺️ Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful blog post, definitely encouraging for other young couples who yet have a long way to go. Congratulations and God bless you guide you always xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you write and these pics are super cute! I pray you two enjoy your journey together. God bless. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bit that stood out for me was "We didn't make this decision based on our parents standards, or our friends standards, or the standards in cosmopolitan magazine. Instead, we waited for God".
    This has encouraged me to be seek God and patient in all I do. Especially being a sort of person that makes decisions based on my parents standard. Thank God for this post, it has definitely encouraged me. Congrats Miss Emma soon to be Mrs B.

    ReplyDelete

© Emma Francis. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig