Wednesday 8 April 2015

Six steps to clearer skin

 Okay, let me begin by saying I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M ACTUALLY PUTTING THESE PICTURES OF MYSELF ON THE INTERNET! There are so many fake pictures online of 'before and after' spot treatments that totally sell us a dream, I knew I had to be real no matter how embarrassing it may be! These pictures were taken with absolutely no makeup on, and no editing, just with the flash on an iPhone camera, roughly five months apart.
I never really suffered with acne or bad breakouts when I was a teen. Now, aged 22 I thought I was way past the possibility of getting acne but just a few months ago I started getting really bad spots.

It wasn’t even just the way they looked that I didn’t like, but it was so uncomfortable and made my skin feel oily and dirty.

I went to the doctors (cos you can do that for spots, you know!) and they prescribed me a liquid roll on lotion to apply twice a day. I tried this for two weeks and my spots got WORSE! I think the lotion was spreading the bacteria from the spots to different parts of my face that weren’t even affected in the first place so I ended up with more spots.

I started to feel more and more insecure. I bought a really thick foundation because I wanted to cover all the red pimples but of course that only made it worse.

I called up the doctors to tell them what they originally gave me hadn’t worked so they told me that I could try a tablet instead. The tablet was called Tetralysal and I had to take it once a day for two weeks.

This made a huge impact. It wasn’t like the spots magically vanished or anything, but I could feel a difference and my skin didn’t feel uncomfortable anymore.

Taking the tablets for two weeks was enough to set me up for clearer skin, and it was up to me to continue to look after my face because you can’t rely on tablets forever!

I had tried lots of other stuff to help get rid of the spots, some of it didn’t work, and some I will keep in my makeup routine forever.

I’ve saved you the trial and error, and provided you with my six steps to clearer skin:

1) St Ives Apricot scrub. £3.99
  Wash your face with this at the end of the day after you’ve taken your makeup off and it will help remove any bits you missed and it gets really deep in to your pores to cleanse them.

2) Throw out the thick foundation. I changed my foundation to a light coverage Lancome one which was much softer and lighter on my skin. It still stayed on just as good as the thick ones and I didn’t even need to use as much.

3) Freederm gel. £5.00
Tiniest tube ever, but it lasts ages because you only need a little bit each time! It helps to reduce inflammation of the spots and basically just shrinks them until they are gone. I find this works best on spots that you can feel coming on. When you apply this they either go before they’ve properly come out, or they are much smaller than what you thought they’d be. I have tried some more expensive types of this treatment but I would still go back to Freederm every time.

4) Change your pillowcases once a week. When you sleep, the oil from your hair gets on to your pillowcase and then transfers on to your face.

 5) Good sleep is way too underrated. Not just for your skincare, but for your health overall. Try and get at least eight hours a night.

6) La Roche Posey Effaclar duo. £15.50
This is a bit more of an investment than the others, so it’s up to you how strongly you feel about wanting to get rid of your spots, but I think this would honestly be my best recommendation of all. You apply it as a moisturiser in the morning and evening. Instead of it feeling thick and oily like some mositurisers, it feels so light and clean. Its main purpose is to help heal acne scars, which I am sadly left with now after my outbreak a couple of months ago. I finished my first tube and had a week without it and I really saw the difference so I ran to boots to get my next tube so that my skin would feel good again!

I could go on and recommend everything like drink lots of water, eat good etc but you’ve probably heard it all before so I’ll keep mine short and sweet.

You will see from the pictures that my skin still isn't completely clear, and I still have the acne scars that may be there for years, but patience is key and I feel better that I can actually do something about it even if it does feel like it's taking a lifetime.

If you want any more tips, and particularly if you are feeling a bit down about how you look please please get in contact with me! I would love to chat.

Emma
xx
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Thanks for your advice!! I stopped having dairy and that's helped loads, as I've had acne since young! But I think all along its been a dairy allergy!! All the best, Mirabella xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures shows an amazing improvement! I've recently gone to the doctor because of my acne, and got Tetralysal as well. I've never had a HUGE problem, but at the modest age of 27 I was simply tired of never really having nice and clear skin - like ever. So despite not having particularly severe acne (or even really moderately bad) I was put on these pills for about 6 months (or until the skin is clear, may it be before or after 6 months). Just 8 days in I can see and feel a difference though.
    Really enjoyed reading your advice for clearing up the skin. I'll have to check and see if those products are available over here! ;)

    ReplyDelete

© Emma Francis. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig