Friday 8 August 2014

How to do what you love and keep on loving it

Everyone dreams of doing a job they love, but how do you keep the passion when it evolves from a hobby to what you're waking up every day to do?

I spoke to three friends who are all in different industries and stages in their careers, but each have some valuable advice to help you go after your dream job without sacrificing the love you have for it in the first place.

Music producer Jimmy James had always been passionate about making music, he produced his first album at the age of 18, but it took six years for Jimmy to quit his 9 to 5 with British Gas and take up producing full-time. 

Now, age 26, He produces for UK musicians and international bands, and he owns his own studio in Birmingham. Jimmy speaks from his own experience:

"You can't focus on the money. Any point of any job is to earn, but when you're in something like this or anything artistic, something you're passionate about you're constantly taking on work just for the money.

"I've gone through periods where I've started to feel like it's just a job but that's not what I went in to it for. I went in to it because it's what I love." Explains Jimmy.

"Some people go to work in offices. I worked in a call centre for 4 years and that was just for the money. So sometimes I have to sit back and think, you know what I'm not going to take that project on, I'm just going to do something I love." 


Joe Widdowson, 25, has just this week signed for Bury football club. He joined West Ham at the age of 12 and made his professional debut at 18.

As a young boy he would have spent his days dreaming of becoming a footballer, and now it's his reality. Joe speaks about the steps he has had to take to keep his passion for the game.

"I remind myself of the things that made me love playing in the first place. I try not to view it as a job but as a favourite game that I'm lucky enough to play every day. 

Widdowson playing against Beckham
"I also like to remind myself of how far I've come and how blessed and privileged I am to be a footballer. Being a competitive person, I often try and view football in the most simple form, something that I need to win and must give everything I have to do so. 

"But it's important to have a life away from football with other interests and distractions to keep my mind healthy and balanced." Says Joe.

"This way, I can enjoy the pleasure of football without becoming over-obsessed with it." 

However, Joe admits; "I have probably lost some of my youthful appetite for the game as I have got older."

"It's had a big impact on my lifestyle as the importance of training and playing games has meant I've often had to make sacrifices like not going out, eating the right foods and making sure my body is properly rested and prepared to play." Explains Joe. 

He adds: "The fact it is a job means there is pressure and expectation to perform well which is something you don't really think about when you are younger.”


Becky Burnett, 22, graduated from Bournemouth Arts University last year and has since been pursuing her career as an actress. It hasn't always been easy, and like many other aspiring actors, Becky has found that the world of theatre is tough and competitive. 

"You have to focus on the reasons why you love it." Says Becky.

"In this industry there are so many challenges that you have to face right from the offset that if you loose focus they will quickly become challenges not worth facing. I only graduated last year and already I have come up against issues that were never even mentioned when I was training."

Unlike Jimmy, Becky's problem is reminding herself to not do everything for free;

"When you love something so much you want to take every chance and opportunity you can. You have to look at the project and ask yourself what are you getting out of this if not money?"

Becky hasn't had any trouble with keeping her passion for acting, though:

"It's funny. I actually think I love it more now than I did then. Before I decided to try and make it my career it was something I loved but never thought seriously about. Whereas now I know it's what I want and can make my career, I love it even more."

That's encouragement enough for anyone going after their dream job!

I hope you've found this post helpful. Here's a round-up of the main advice from Jimmy, Joe and Becky:
  1. Don't focus on the money
  2. Have a life away from your job with other interests
  3. Focus on the reasons why you loved it in the first place
Emma
  xx
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Emma Francis. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig